Saturday, July 19, 2008

One thing ends, another begins

Yesterday was a very good day. David and I went to the apartment fitness center and did both strength and cardio workouts. Afterwards, we met Lisa for lunch and went to Tex and Shirley's for breakfast. We finished the day by going to the Greensboro Grasshoppers game at Newbridge Bank Park. The Hoppers beat the Savannah Sandgnats 5-0, Babe Ruth the bat dog and park mascot did her thing -- including running the bases after the game (strategically placed dog biscuits!) with little Yogi nipping at her heels -- and then there were fireworks. Simple, colorful, loud fireworks. It was an All-American day.

Today, I've already taken Blazer our cat to the vet for his annual checkup and boarding for several days, and David and I have gone swimming. We're heading to Charlotte in a couple of hours, to meet Gigi and Andy's flight from Chicago. They'll be here for the next week. We're all going to see my mom and dad tomorrow, and on Tuesday, we have a surprise for Gigi and Andy that David already knows about. We're going to the beach for a couple of days. We did a similar trip three years ago, which was the first time I got to take the kids on a vacation. I hope this one turns out as well.

Next Saturday, all three kids will fly back to their mom. Including the summer they moved away, this is the fifth sixth time my summer has been punctuated this way. It's no longer life period full stop for me, though. It's now life comma pause, and then go on. My children are still there, out in the world, even when I don't see them. I'm here, they are there, and we connect often. It's called growing up, and I'm glad I've done it, since my children shouldn't outstrip me in that regard.

----------------
Now playing: Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
via FoxyTunes