Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Aunt Mildred

Aunt Mildred is my dad's older sister. She's 86 and has been widowed for 10 years or so now. Sadly, no one misses her husband. No one. They were married almost 50 years, and he moved her around the South, never staying in one place more than a couple of years. Luckily for us, he moved her back to a spot on Dad's farm, where they set up a mobile home not long before he passed away. When he was ready to move on that time, Aunt Mildred told him he could go, but she was home.

During the last 10 years, my sons have usually stayed with Aunt Mildred when we visit Dad and Mom, and I've visited her a lot. We've gotten close, and the best discovery of all is that we're kindred spirits in many ways. I'll have more to say about her soon, and I need to find a picture or two. She deserves for people to know about her, if not to know her for themselves.