Sunday, July 6, 2008

In Odd We Trust

I'm a huge fan of neither anime nor manga. For that matter, "graphic novels" don't do much for me either. However, I am quite the fan of both Dean Koontz and Odd Thomas.

As it happens, the very latest in the Odd Thomas series is a graphic novel. It's actually a prequel to Odd Thomas. I didn't have a very good mental picture of Odd, Stormy Llewellyn, not even of their home town of Pico Mundo. Now, I'll never be able to picture them any other way than how Queenie Chan drew them.

The story is vintage Koontz: very fast paced and suspenseful, chock full of humor, hard collisions of the sweetness and the darkness of life. At about 190 pages, it was longer than I expected, but the story itself is probably 30-40 pages. It will make you smile, and if you know any of the rest of the Odd Thomas saga, it will break your heart a little bit.