Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sympathy for Elizabeth Edwards

I generally do not post about politics here, but this was just too bloody disgusting. Sure, the cliches are true -- "Truth will out" and "The truth will set you free" -- but no one is entitled, for any reason whatsoever, to the "truth" about someone's cheating spouse. Elizabeth Edwards, regardless of her incurable cancer, deserves the respect of her privacy. It's her marriage, and it's her children to protect.

I do understand her position, because I've been in her shoes, and I held the truth close to the vest until I was ready to deal with the repercussions of telling other people. Yes, I kept quiet, even with close friends and family.

I hope that the Brad Crone mentioned in the CNN article never has to deal with a cheating spouse.

I admire the grace Elizabeth Edwards has shown in dealing with this very public outing of a very private pain and betrayal, and I wish her the very best going forward in dealing with her husband, who I consider the biggest buried turd in the litter box of American politics.