Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Today Was "Morale In The Toilet" Tuesday...

As he ordered one last round
He said I guess we can't complain
God made life a gamble
And we're still in the game.

  - Joe Diffie, "Ships That Don't Come In"

For the second time in less than four months, we had a layoff at work today. This one was a lot smaller than the last one, 4 co-workers gone compared to 21. I even understand why, but that doesn't help so very much, not when someone from my team is one of those gone. Someone that I had worked closely with during the last month, whose skills I had come to appreciate, respect, and depend on.

This is the third time in 23 years in IT I've weathered a layoff. I'm feeling a bit of survivor's guilt, but I have dependents to provide for, so that suppresses the guilt.

All in all, the quoted lyric seems appropriate.