Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I can't get it out of my head

Ever have a melody that you seem to hear unceasingly? I do from time-to-time...actually, it's more than that. I'm not only serenaded in my mind, but I need to play it out loud, over and over. On my CD player in the car; on the Favorite Songs playlists on both of my mp3 players -- I know I have a mild touch of dyslexia, which I am aware of and cope with, but OCD I can do without!

So, who are the current artists-in-residence in my mental musical salon, and what are they playing?

The poet John Keats once said, "Though a quarrel in the streets is a thing to be hated, the energies displayed in it are fine; the commonest man shows a grace in his quarrel." I can see this description in Wild-Eyed Southern Boys by 38 Special.

The song is really nothing more, on the surface, than a well-crafted Southern rock song, basically a ditty you'd hear on Classic Rock radio, with a couple of lead guitarists swapping licks and two vocalists singing about a rowdy bar crowd listening to a hot band, everyone looking for an excuse to brawl, to throw back a beer or a shot, to hook up for a night's romance.

Look, or more properly listen, more closely. The singers are right on tune, both on leads and harmonies. The guitar solos rock, the two drummers lay down some very solid and complex rhythms, and the rhythm guitarist and bassist handle some tricky time and harmonic changes.

Whether or not there are worse songs to obsess over, this one makes me happy.