Friday, August 31, 2007

Stardust

Lisa and I saw Stardust last weekend. I already knew that Neil Gaiman is a superb fantasist, having read American Gods, Coraline, and Good Omens ("Have a nice Doomsday"). I now know that he is a skilled movie producer as well. Stardust is a wonderful fairy tale, with thrills, laughs -- who knew, even after Meet the Parents, that Robert De Niro is such a fine comedic actor? -- magic, and frights It doesn't go as far into the dark side as the copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales my dad had when he was a boy, but it couldn't and keep the PG-13 rating, now could it? There were visuals we'd never seen before -- Michelle Pfeiffer is quite a treat :) -- but I guess there was nothing earthshattering. Well, that's alright, I went to the theater to be entertained, which I was, quite thoroughly, not to have my intellectual world turned inside out. And there's nothing wrong with an afternoon's entertainment.