Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Hall of Fame

I couldn't be happier about a couple of this year's inductees into the Country Music Hall of Fame. While a stutter may not be the most debilitating condition in the world, Mel Tillis had to overcome his. He made it first as a songwriter (Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town), then as a performer. His song I remember best is Sawmill, which is pretty much forgotten today.


I'm really over the moon about Vince Gill. His triple-threat talent is undeniable, as a singer, songwriter, and guitarist, and his music was a great comfort to me after my first marriage fell apart. He says that he performs for the joy of music, and I tend to believe him. His CDs Next Best Thing and These Days (a four disc set, no less) are his very best, and they've come out after his radio popularity declined. He's known as a great guy, and I'll keep supporting his career for as long as I can.