Sunday, June 8, 2008

Congratulations, Andy


We're celebrating a new high school graduate. Andy, I'm proud of you. Purdue University is a excellent next step for you, a great choice for an aspiring electrical engineer. I have no doubt that you'll succeed there; indeed, that you'll thrive. I've never seen you set your mind to something and fail.

Remember where you've come from. Roots run deep in both the South and the Midwest, but those roots are never meant to hold you down. They're meant to to give you a solid launching pad.

That leads to my promise to you. The song in this video is probably meant as something a faithful lover says to one who may be leaving, but I think the chorus especially works as a message from a father to a son. Here's When You Come Back Down, by Nickel Creek.



When you're soaring through the air,
I'll be your solid ground.
Take every chance you dare,
I'll still be there,
When you come back down.