Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Wachovia Championship

Today, my old friend Al and I are going to the Pro Am at the Wachovia Championship golf tournament in Charlotte. Neither one of us has ever been to a PGA tournament, so I expect this is going to be fun.

We bought the tournament tickets to raffle off as a Relay For Life fundraiser. I'm glad Al won them; he's been my best friend since we were in elementary school. We worked summers on Dad's farm together, went to rival colleges 30 miles apart, and in general, have always been just a phone call away for each other.

I did hold the pot at the raffle drawing, but I had someone else pull the winning entry.


Some points from the day:

  • You won't get an autograph from José Maria Olazabal by calling him "Sergio".
  • Vijay Singh is very impressive in person.
  • The golfers concentrated on signing autographs for kids, and I for one can't fault them for that. It's an investment in the future of their sport.
  • I've never had a smoother time parking 15 miles away and being shuttled to the event site, finding food and drink, watching world class athletes, and getting back home. The organizers of the Wachovia Championship are truly on top of the game.