Saturday, August 29, 2009

RIP Ted Kennedy

The "Lion of the Senate" was laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery today. He was a veteran, so that is totally appropriate. I find that I believe in many of the same end goals as Senator Kennedy, especially in the area of health care. I contend that, in a country as affluent as America, that no one should have to go without health care, and everyone knows that was one of Senator Kennedy's passions.

I differ with Mr. Kennedy on the methods of reaching the goals we both believe in; I am leery of government financed public compassion. No, I don't have the answers, since I haven't devoted my life to the issue, but I do believe that America can solve the problems we face.

I knew that the Senator was instrumental in the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I was truly surprised that he was equally involved in the No Child Left Behind Act. This only illustrates his ability to work with his fellow legislators of every political stripe.

He was a hardcore American liberal, and he never wavered from his convictions. Even though I am much more the conservative, I salute his constancy.

Of course he was flawed. His political career would have ended with the 1969 Chappaquiddick incident had he been anyone other than a Kennedy. But he was a Kennedy, and he was larger than life.